If you have a federal student loan, are you aware of recent changes and the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Limited Waiver Opportunity? For a limited period of time, borrowers may receive credit for past payments on loans not qualified for PSLF.
In this episode of the Finance For Physicians Podcast, Daniel Wrenne talks about PSLF and other student loan changes regarding prior payments and loans. The federal government is trying to follow through on the promises of PSLF.
- PSLF Refresher: Must have a qualified loan, payments, and employer
- PSLF Problems: Too much red tape, confusion, servicer errors, and declines
- #1 Qualifier: Loan type – you must have a direct loan to qualify for PSLF
- Deadline: Complete consolidation into Direct Loan Program by Oct. 31, 2022
- Limited Time Waiver – Federal government’s proposed solutions for borrowers:
- Prior payments may count with qualifying employment certification
- Perks for borrowers in the military/inactive duty
- Future automation for qualifying federal employees’ PSLF progress
- Reviews and audits of prior PSLF processing and denials
- Are corrections still incorrect? Request the second review